Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Study Scuba before arrival !

Study Scuba before arrival !

Both Hedonism Resorts have excellent dive facilities, divemasters and instructors. They both offer Discover Scuba, Open Water, Advanced Open Water and most of the PADI Specialty Courses. Many guests arrive thinking about studying scuba but use up the first few days of their stay before getting serious. I highly recommend reading the PADI manuals and answering the knowledge review questions before arrival. Visit the Water Sports office early upon arrival and meet the instructors so that they can help plan an easy morning schedule. The best souvenir from Hedo would be your certification card so that you can return and dive again.
    Last edited by hedo_diver; 06-08-2009 at 08:38 AM.

I think you can even do all the book work on-line. Then just do the dive portion at the resort.

Trip 4 H2 July 31 - Aug 7, 2011 Can't Wait To Go HOME
    AWOL ROCKS

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would suggest the classroom work and pool dives be done at home and transfer the work to Hedo for the open water dives. I can't imagine wasting Hedo time in a classroom.
    Last edited by caughtyoulookin; 06-08-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

M took the resort course on our first trip. This worked out great because she really wasn't interested in scuba but this got her some basic experience and a 40 foot dive for something like $70. In the end she was just as satisfied snorkeling as she was diving and we left it at that.

I'd recommend to anyone who thinks they might be interested in scuba to do the resort course and go on a couple shallow dives. If it really turns your crank, get your c-card after you get home and then convince all your new dive buddies to go to Hedo with you!
    "Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there's a field. I'll meet you there."

Even if you only plan to do the resort course you should own and read the manual. Why dive clueless? Also the resort course can count toward your first Open Water course dive if you want to persue the certification. Doing the pool skills and ocean dives with Hedo's instructors doesnt impact the vacation very much since your done by noon and its only a couple of days anyway. The online academics mentioned costs $150 while the PADI OW manual, blue log book and dive table only costs $39. It's also good to own the manual for future reference.
    Last edited by hedo_diver; 06-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.

There is almost 0 class room time. I did most of the reading naked at the nude pool. My wife did the same the following year. I would suggest doing the reading at home, but I wouldn't spend the money on a class at home. It will add to your cost and is very inefficient. At hedo my class was 1. My wife was in a class of 2. At home we would have been in groups or 15 or more. All skills take forever that way because more than 90% of your time is waisted while everyone else is doing their skills tests. Hedo is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by caughtyoulookin View Post
    I would suggest the classroom work and pool dives be done at home and transfer the work to Hedo for the open water dives. I can't imagine wasting Hedo time in a classroom.
    Any idea how much Hedo would charge just to complete the open water dives for certification?

Quote Originally Posted by whatevva View Post
    Any idea how much Hedo would charge just to complete the open water dives for certification?
    If you bring a signed referral form ( with academics and confined water sessions 1-5 done ) then the remaining 4 open water dives with a resort instructor and PADI application would cost $250.

The full PADI Open Water course at Hedo is only $350.
    Last edited by hedo_diver; 06-09-2009 at 06:36 AM.

FWIW, I did my checkout dives in the Bahamas along with a few guys who had just done the quick course the day before at a resort. There was a noticeable different in the comfort level of those guys versus my group who had been in the pool at home a half-dozen times to learn how. If you're not sure if you're into scuba, the Intro to Scuba resort dives are a great way to find out. If you *know* you're interested in getting certified, I'd definitely do the book work and practice dives at home. As far as class size goes, my dive class at home was just the three people going on my trip - it really depends on the dive shop.

One other thing to keep in mind is that diving is pretty easy to do if you've got half a brain but it can still be dangerous. If you have a problem, even at 35 feet down, not freaking out is important and a little practice at home can make that difference. On my first checkout dive, I had a faulty regulator but it didn't act up until I was at depth. I'd practiced at home so I had no trouble switching to my backup and getting the divemaster to look at the reg. Would I have been ok without the practice at home? Probably. But I certainly felt safer when I had a problem.

Just my two bits. Have fun in the sun!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by hedo_diver View Post
    If you bring a signed referral form ( with academics and confined water sessions 1-5 done ) then the remaining 4 open water dives with a resort instructor and PADI application would cost $250.

The full PADI Open Water course at Hedo is only $350.
    Thanx HD, even the instructor that I spoke with suggested we do it this way, simply because of the water temp up here, and the extra equipment required. So what is the time frame requirement for those 4 open water dives? Is that what can be done in 2 mornings?

Thanx HD, even the instructor that I spoke with suggested we do it this way, simply because of the water temp up here, and the extra equipment required. So what is the time frame requirement for those 4 open water dives? Is that what can be done in 2 mornings?
    PADI requires 4 open water dives. During each you demonstrate skills, alerady learned in the pool, with a degree of comfort back to the instructor. Only 3 dives can take place in one day so two mornings are usually needed to complete the four dives. Only a few skills are done on each dive so most of each dive is site seeing. At Hedo your done by noon.

Definately recommend doing some Advanced Open Water dives at Hedo since the required AOW deep dive is very pleasant with great visibilty and 84 degree water.

Ok now I have a question. Certified Padi open water like 5 yrs, I havn't been on many dives since. I would like to get a tank & play around at some shallow depths. Is there a recommended dive for me? The last time I went on a resort dive. It was just swim here and here and I couldn't really just relax and sit, play with my boyancy, let the fishers come to me.

Trip 4 H2 July 31 - Aug 7, 2011 Can't Wait To Go HOME
    AWOL ROCKS

Quote Originally Posted by Luv4hedo View Post
    Ok now I have a question. Certified Padi open water like 5 yrs, I havn't been on many dives since. I would like to get a tank & play around at some shallow depths. Is there a recommended dive for me? The last time I went on a resort dive. It was just swim here and here and I couldn't really just relax and sit, play with my boyancy, let the fishers come to me.
    5 years is a long time...

Being a certified diver you can take a refresher class with any instructor or divemaster. Of course an instructor would be best. A good refresher would review a little academics (read your manual before going) and take you in the pool to refresh most of the 20 scuba and safety skills. Afterward he would probably like to dive open water with you and may give some peak bouyancy pointers. Cost for refreshers are usually similar to discover scuba. ($70) You get a lot for the money. Peace of mind and honed skills. Ask an instructor at either Hedo watersports desk. Its fun and they'll repect you for taking your diving seriously.

You could follow up the refresher with the Advance Open Water.
    Last edited by hedo_diver; 06-09-2009 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hedo_diver View Post
    PADI requires 4 open water dives. During each you demonstrate skills, alerady learned in the pool, with a degree of comfort back to the instructor. Only 3 dives can take place in one day so two mornings are usually needed to complete the four dives. Only a few skills are done on each dive so most of each dive is site seeing. At Hedo your done by noon.

Definately recommend doing some Advanced Open Water dives at Hedo since the required AOW deep dive is very pleasant with great visibilty and 84 degree water.
    Are there only certain days that these open dives can take place? I read somewhere that it can only be done 4 days of a week. If that's the case, I can adjust my trip so as not to lose any dive time.

Are there only certain days that these open dives can take place? I read somewhere that it can only be done 4 days of a week. If that's the case, I can adjust my trip so as not to lose any dive time.
    Instructors do get a day off. So it is possible you could miss 1 day of diving based on instructor scheduling. On a 7 day trip you'll have plenty of time to do the open waters and extra dives after certification. While checking in at the front desk also book the class. Visit the watersports desk also on your first day tell them your schedule. No problem !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast