Thread: Virgin Trip to H2 6/11-6/21 and Scuba

Smile Virgin Trip to H2 6/11-6/21 and Scuba

Hi, folks.

I'm headed to H2 for the first time in June and just wanted to post and say hello. I'm a single guy, 33, from Atlanta. I'm meeting a good friend and his wife there and I've done a bunch of reading about Hedo so hopefully I'll avoid being the Dreaded Creepy Single Guy.

If you'll be there during the same time, feel free to message me here. I can't wait to meet everybody!

One of the things that I wanted to ask about was scuba at H2. I'm a diver but I only get to dive on vacation. I've read varying reports about how good the scuba is and I'm kinda torn about whether to bring my gear down. On one hand, I really hate to miss an opportunity to go diving. On the other hand, it's my first trip to Hedo and I want to enjoy just being there. Fellow divers, what say you? Swim with the fishes or dive another day?

Thanks, everybody! Hopefully I'll see some of you there. 25 days and counting!

Rob.
    Last edited by atlguy33; 05-17-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by atlguy33 View Post
    Hi, folks...One of the things that I wanted to ask about was scuba at H2. I'm a diver but I only get to dive on vacation. I've read varying reports about how good the scuba is and I'm kinda torn about whether to bring my gear down. On one hand, I really hate to miss an opportunity to go diving. On the other hand, it's my first trip to Hedo and I want to enjoy just being there. Fellow divers, what say you? Swim with the fishes or dive another day?

Thanks, everybody! Hopefully I'll see some of you there. 25 days and counting!

Rob.
    Welcome to the boards. Though we are not divers, we understand that some of the best offered on the island is in Negril. You do not have to worry about bringing you own gear though should you decide to dive, the resort has all of that. You do however, need to bring your dive card. Its all included in the fee so if you have a mind to dive, go for it.

Ivy and Rick
    "Once you go, you will know"

Ivy and Rick
    "AWOL 2016, Let's Get Together"
    www.awoltravelgroup.com

Next Trip: Hedo II, 7/23 to 7/30, 2016

Registered User caughtyoulookin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We dive at Hedo and just bring our own masks and snorkels. They will fit you with fins, BCD, weights, and octopus. We dive in swim suits and maybe a tee shirt. Advanced card gets you into the deep dives at 9AM (110ft.), Open Water or Scuba Diver, you must do the shallow dives (60ft.) at 11:30AM.

Hit the dive shack (same place you get your towels) the day you get in and sign all the legal docs. We found cloudy weather most days at about 1PM and we missed some good sun time if we dove. We chose to dive every other day. You have to get to bed and not drink heavily the night before, so diving every other day let us party-hardy the evenings after our dives.

The scenery is mostly corral heads, small tropical fishes, the occasional turtle, lobsters, and some awesome sea fans. There are some overhangs and structure to explore during the dives. Not the best diving in the world, but still fun diving.

Hedo dive staff is very experienced and will make sure the rules of safety are followed.
    I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.

We enjoyed the diving....

The reefs are very close so it was only a few minutes to get to 55'. Bring your own mask, snorkel, and dive card and use their stuff. It was very professional. We have been diving for years and we saw the biggest nurse shark we have ever seen there. The divemaster would not let me shake its tail. We only went 3 days as my wife was concerned about clearing her ears. We would have dived every day otherwise. Some guy there dove 3 times a day every day. The visibilty was good and the temperature of the water was perfect.They do not provide wetsuits but we did not need one, and we are from Florida.l

Definately dive at H2. All the divemasters are great and you'll meet lots of fun folks on the boat. Bringing all your dive gear weighs about 42 Lbs so you'll have to consider the travel load. They have rinse tanks and stow bins in the shop if you do bring your gear. Whatever you don't bring, they have, at no extra cost. Consider taking the Advanced Open Water class with Richy ($250). It's usually a private lesson and you'll feel much stronger about your diving after the second dive.

Thanks for the info, everybody. 23 days and counting...