Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Off site activities?

Quote Originally Posted by lauraff7 View Post
    As Bruce said, we are going to Appleton tour and Floyd's Pelican Bar (a tiki hut 3 mi. out in the Caribbean) on our next trip to Hedo in March. This is our first trip with Juju tours but we have read nothing but rave reviews on tripadvisor and are really looking forward to this! Check them out! Our pre-trip experience with them has been top notch.

Laura
    Ang at JuJu Tours is amazing. She is a friend of ours BUT we've also done quite a few of her tours. You will NOT be disappointed !

Just spent some time googling Floyd's. It appears closest boat ride would be from Black River. I'm guessing about a 2 hour ride in a bus...20 minute boat ride...a couple of hours at Floyds and then back. Is a 6-7 hour time frame a good guess for this tour from Hedo? Is this about right? If so may be a little far to go for a "cool" bar.

Has anyone been to the "Blue Hole"?
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

We always like to eat at The Rockhouse. But I have noticed that about the time that we get to the lighthouse, there seems to be alot of little open air shops and bars. Has anyone ever walked around at the west end? Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdnxt View Post
    My wife asked me the other day if there were any must see/do things near Hedo. We will be there March 24-30 and I was not sure if anything beats laying on the beach, drinking and partying at Hedo, it's our first trip. Should we go to falls? Or Ricks? Or do many people do snorkeling / booze cruises. I am fine with R&R but wanted to ask. Also is the spa at Hedo nice?
    After 7 trips to Hedo II, here's my two cents...since you are staying for week or less, I would recommend taking two or more of the following short excursions (2-3 hours) off the Hedo 2 resort property:

RICK'S CAFE -- this trip to nearby Negril is practically a must if you haven't been there before. Sign up in the lobby for the group van/bus ride or just take a cab yourselves. You'll leave the Hedo resort for Rick's at about 4:00 p.m. and return shortly after the sunset in time for dinner. At Rick's, have a few drinks, listen to the music, watch the divers, watch the spectacular sunset, and take alot of "vanilla" pics to show the people back home who don't know you went to Hedo on vacation. Just make sure it is a clear sunny day when you go to Rick's.

CATAMARAN/BOOZE CRUISE --this nude cruise is something we do on every trip and it is one of the highlights of the Hedo experience. Sign up in the lobby and pay $60/person. You leave from the Hedo beachfront and return there after a few hours. You can cruise out to the Pirate Cove Cliffs or all the way to Rick's Cafe, depending on what you have signed up for.

NEGRIL SHOPPING TRIP: A 2-to-3 hour group shopping trip in the morning that you sign up for in the lobby. If you want to shop and buy non-Hedo gifts or tourist items (t-shirts, beach towels, Blue Mountain coffee, etc), then I recommend this trip. The Hedo gift shop is small, pricey, and has a limited selection. The mall at the Sangster (MoBay) Airport is more expensive (except for the duty free liquor) and your time there before your flight can be very limited.

BEACH WALK TO MARGARITAVILLE: it is only a 2-mile walk or so from Hedo along the famous 7-mile Negril Beach to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Negril. There are 2 Margaritaville restaurants and gift shops at Sangster (MoBay) Airport, but doing anything at the Airport can be hit-or miss depending on your flight times and the exit lines at immigration. The beach walk to Margaritaville Negril is free, but you have to wear a bathing suit and take money with you to buy lunch, a drink or two, and any gifts items you might want. It is not an organized trip, so you need to convince other people to walk 4-miles roundtrip with you along the beach. This is a good lunchtime excursion for your 3rd or 4th day at Hedo, as it gives you a chance to "sober up," take some "vanilla" pics to show people back home, and check out the other neighboring resorts along the beach.

That being said, except for the nude catamaran cruise, sand gravity and an unwillingness to wear clothes usually keeps this Hedo Veteran on the Hedo resort property.
    Last edited by Jamaica Joe; 02-09-2013 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kor View Post
    We always like to eat at The Rockhouse. But I have noticed that about the time that we get to the lighthouse, there seems to be alot of little open air shops and bars. Has anyone ever walked around at the west end? Thanks in advance
    We have stayed at the Rockhouse and the West End is truly a neat place. Check out the Pub Crawl ran by Lenbert Williams, you will get to see 6-8 bars all down on the West End, if you need contact info just let me know.

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Jamaica Joe View Post
    BEACH WALK TO MARGARITAVILLE: it is only a 2-mile walk or so from Hedo along the famous 7-mile Negril Beach to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Negril. There are 2 Margaritaville restaurants and gift shops at Sangster (MoBay) Airport, but doing anything at the Airport can be hit-or miss depending on your flight times and the exit lines at immigration. The beach walk to Margaritaville Negril is free, but you have to wear a bathing suit and take money with you to buy lunch, a drink or two, and any gifts items you might want. It is not an organized trip, so you need to convince other people to walk 4-miles roundtrip with you along the beach. This is a good lunchtime excursion for your 3rd or 4th day at Hedo, as it gives you a chance to "sober up," take some "vanilla" pics to show people back home, and check out the other neighboring resorts along the beach.
    Another variant of this that we like better is to take a cab down to the other end of the beach where the Negril Craft Market is located (down by the round-about). After a little shopping walk the beach back towards Hedo to Margaritaville. This end of Long Bay has many more small shops and tiki hotel bars along the way to stop for an ice cold Red Stripe. You would also pass Bourbon Beach which many times will be having live entertainment. After a stop at Margaritaville, hire one of the many Glass Bottom boats in the area to take you back to Hedo...this makes for a fun 3-4 hour off-site trip!

2018 HEDO AMIGOS APRIL
    April 14-21 2017

Your time estimate is pretty good - Black River is about 1 hour away from Negril, but if you are taking a tour that stops at other hotels, it may take longer...If taking a private taxi, the hour is pretty good and so you may want to take in the Black River Safari which is pretty cool - that's about 90 minutes duration. Floyds is more than a cool bar - the eats are pretty good too, so allocate a little more time there.

Which "Blue Hole" are you referring to? The most famous one is in Port Antonio on the other side of the island, at least a 5 hour drive (one way) from Negril. That is pretty fabulous, but requires spending a few days there to make it worth it. There are a few "Blue Holes" scattered around the interior of the island, but none that I am aware of are included as part of a sightseeing trip.

Hope this helps!!

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    Just spent some time googling Floyd's. It appears closest boat ride would be from Black River. I'm guessing about a 2 hour ride in a bus...20 minute boat ride...a couple of hours at Floyds and then back. Is a 6-7 hour time frame a good guess for this tour from Hedo? Is this about right? If so may be a little far to go for a "cool" bar.

Has anyone been to the "Blue Hole"?

There is a new "blue Hole" near negril...an american gentleman bought it and has put a hotel and tourist attraction...about 1/2 hour from Negril...never been there, but google blue hole negril and it will show up
    Sabina and Scott
    NEW YEARS EVE H2
    Dec.27 to Jan.5th 2019

12th Anniversary New Years Like No Other!!

It's only Hard Core when YOU'RE not doing it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pblacoe View Post
    Ang at JuJu Tours is amazing. She is a friend of ours BUT we've also done quite a few of her tours. You will NOT be disappointed !
    Thanks, pblacoe. great to hear that confirmation!

Just to mention- about the Pelican Bar- it's attraction for us is NOT that it is a bar. Neither Bruce nor I are big drinkers, and we can get all the drinks we want at Hedo for free with great company, so for us personally there is no attaction to leaving Hedo to go to bars. Here is the blurb about Pelican from the Juju site:

[I"]One of Jamaica's most peaceful retreats, Floyd's Pelican Bar is a tiki hut made of driftwood, located three miles out to sea. With no electricity, Pelican Bar is a one-of-a-kind attraction. After taking an exciting boat ride along Jamaica's South Coast, enjoy a Red Stripe and take a swim in Pelican's waters while you await a freshly caught seafood meal made on top of a coal fire. Watch the sun go down before catching the last boat back to shore. "[/I]

I've heard it's a breathtakingly beautiful place, and it gets top ratings and reviews on Tripadvisor, so we're looking forward to trying it out this trip!

Laura

Hi jamaica is a beautiful place am sure what ever activity you choose you will enjoy mayfielld fall is a nice place as its suggested I once took a couple there also try jerk port or jerk chicken could also ask to try our national dish ackee and saltfish when you at the nude pool notice the tree there may have some big round thing on it that's bread fruit normally serve fried or roast with our national dish I have a friend that I show pics of jamaica my good friend in the forum here things you don't get to see when am on my computer I will share a few pics with you

Very cool! Never heard of it but looks like it could be fun.

I'm a bit cynical about the "Mineral Spring" claim - water with limestone in it technically qualifies....... As to whether or not there are minerals in it that are beneficial to us requires lab testing & certification.

Quote Originally Posted by sabinaandscott View Post
    There is a new "blue Hole" near negril...an american gentleman bought it and has put a hotel and tourist attraction...about 1/2 hour from Negril...never been there, but google blue hole negril and it will show up

Quote Originally Posted by mnwild View Post
    First, it has been difficult to beat the sand gravity (or nude pool gravity). We have found it hard to be away from Hedo for too long while we are there. We did a trip to Rick's once by cab and we think that is worth it at least one time. We still have not done one of the catamaran cruises mainly due to weather, but we are hoping to do both the snorkel and sunset cruise this year. With the sunset cruise, you can kill two birds with one stone and get your trip to Rick's. If you really want to go do something, the Appleton Estate Rum tour is good. The Dunn's River tour is really cool, but better for when you stay closer to Ocho Rios. Otherwise, we have never felt guilty just hanging and drinking by the nude pool. We try to go with as little planned and with little expectations and just see what happens.

This is definitely what we are planning on this our first trip to Hedo... go with it and see what happens.. Sounds like alot of people going that week that have never been. Can't wait to just enjoy the time away. R
    March 22-30 2013 Was our first trip of many to come. We had a blast with everyone, and I can see each trip getting better, and better.

March 28th 2014 plans to be an even better trip then 2013!!

March 27th 2015 hope to meet many old friends and make even more new friends

March 24th to April 2nd. Runaway Repeaters & Swing Into Spring

March 25th to April 3rd 2017. Going with the great people in SWING INTO SPRING aganin!

"Disclaimer - that is not us in the avatar picture"

Registered User canadian_couple's Avatar
    We have been to Hedo 4 times now and have never left the resort..once I get there and drop the clothes I hate to put them back on..who knows maybe this trip we may take a taxi and experience a little bit of Jamaica..guess I will have to pack something to wear..lol.

We will be there March 22-28 and were also wondering about things to do away from the resort. We were wondering about renting mopeds. Is there anything like that availible? Good or bad idea, any thoughts? We would be good teaming up with others for a trip out.

Blog Entries
    Yes, you can rent mopeds, small motorcycles etc. I've been tempted a couple of times. They drive on the left in Jamaica so that's something to consider and along the Norman Manley Blvd they drive like there is no law. If you get a bike get outta town quickly, it's fun outside the tourist areas, people are friendly and it's nice in the hills.

They say Mayfield Falls has mineral water that is beneficial. Although I didn't test it, it has a very green hue and after a week in the salt and sun I don't think I ever felt anything as good as that cool green water on my overexposed skin. When I went we had the place to ourselves, way fun, but a long ride from Negril.

Cheers
    The Spirit of Hedo Lives Within Me

H2 April 22th -30th 2022 thirteenth trip with the Bunch

The guests, the atmosphere and the freedom really can't be beat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast